children and young people (4-18)
A crisis can be any situation where you feel you might need help urgently.
A crisis situation could be:
- You are seriously injured or hurt
- You feel suicidal
- You are thinking or harming yourself or others
You may know what has caused the crisis or the cause may be unknown to you. You can seek help in the following ways.
If you are thinking about acting on suicidal thoughts or feelings or you are thinking of harming others
- You can go to any hospital A&E department and ask for help
- You can call 999 and ask for an emergency service if you need to
If you are in need of emotional support now you can call:
Saneline - 0845 767 8000 (local rate on BT landlines).
They give help, support and information to anyone affected by mental health. They are open 4.30pm – 10.30pm every day or you can email email@example.com
HOPELineUK - 0800 068 41 41/ Text: 07786 209697
They give confidential advice and support to under 35 year olds thinking about suicide, and anyone who is concerned about a young person and suicide. They are open 10am-10pm weekdays, 2pm-10pm weekends, and 2pm-5pm Bank Holidays.
Samaritans - 116 123 (free to call from within the UK and Ireland, 24 hours a day). They give confidential listening support.
If you need medical help and it's not an emergency you can contact:
- Your doctor (GP)
- NHS 111 for advice
If you feel you are not able to keep yourself safe, and do not need immediate medical assistance, you should contact the Mental Health Rapid Response Service which is able to offer immediate support: 0300 304 0078 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week including bank holidays).
Out of hours, the following sources of support are available:
- Samaritans 116 123 (free number) or 01273 772277 www.samaritans.org
- Saneline 0300 304 7000 www.sane.org.uk, 4.30pm-10.30pm daily.
- Sussex Mental Health Line 0300 5000 101, 5pm-9am on week nights, and on a 24 hours basis during weekends and Bank Holidays.
You can also call the NHS 111 service if you urgently need help or advice but it is not a life-threatening situation.